Friday, September 9, 2011

School!

Bonjour!
        Life here in Colmar is great so far!  Food is amazing, most of the people are nice (and speak English), and best of all my host family is great! I start school on monday. I have mixed feelings about that. A few days ago I had to go in with Madame Tharotte to meet my principal and talk about what classes I wanted to take. He speaks English so thats good, but I don't think he likes me much mostly because I told him I know like 5 sentences in French. Oh well he can deal. Then I had to go see my class principal I guess is what you would call her to fill out papers. She's so nice but speaks absolutely no English. I have to go to her if ever need anything. She told me to find people who speak English and bring them when I need to talk to her so they can translate for us. But hopefully I wont need to talk to her and if I do I better know French by then. Anyway I had to go back again today to meet her so I could get my books, schedule, tour, and everything. They made me go to my History and Geography class and give a presentation. I was ready to do it in French and they told me to just do it in English. We walked in and she told the class I was American and they were all like ''ohhhhh.....'' And smiling. Then I started talking when I said bonjour they all said ''Hi'' and were giggling. Not sure if that was good or bad but they were really nice at least for the whole 3 min I was in the room. I was sooo scared when I had to say where I was from and everything. But it was fine. By monday when I go to school there all going to know me as the American who speaks no French. Hopefully ill be able to make some friends!

       Oh and my schedule is GREAT on Monday I have French from 8-10, then I have History in English from 10-12, then a 2 hr break, then from 2-4  I have History and Geography. On Tuesday I only have Gym from 10-12. On Wednesday I only have one class again, French from 10-12. On Thursday I have English from 8-10,  a 3 hr break, History and Geography from 1-2. And on Friday I have History and Geography from 11-12, a 4 hr break, then Art class from 4-6. Notice that I got out of having math and science!!! :D And I got out of having class on Saturday! The bad thing is I have to take the bus from my house to the station and then get on another bus to go to my school. They bus schedule is so confusing and times don't always match up with my school schedule. So some days im on the bus or waiting for the bus longer then im at school. Its the biggest waist of time ever. I hate public transportation when it involves school :(

       Well this was a very long and confusing post I hope it makes sense! Sorry about how all over the place it is! Salut!

5 comments:

  1. Hey baby girl! Thinking of you!

    I know it's hard but what a chance to really learn a new language- i'm so jealous!! That is a skill you will never regret and can use later on in life!

    Dont be hard on yourself- you'll get it and believe me you'll be a hit with your fellow students- not only are you the NEW girl, you are now officially exotic. :P

    I'm sorry that your bus wait is so long and feels like a waste (eh did you notice the spelling? need some English classes too? sorry couldnt resist) but I'm sure even that'll get easier as either an alternative will arise or you'll find some friends to help pass the time!

    Phooey if the uber-principal doesnt like you- he doesnt know you, not like we do and we know you're are beautiful inside and out! :)

    Hang in there Tootsie! (((hug)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo-hoo Dakota! Sounds so very exciting! Thanks for posting and keep it up. I'm looking forward to hearing many more stories...:)
    Love,
    Miss Hildreth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kellie!! Thanks and yes I noticed the spelling it even had the red underline telling me that I spelled things wrong :) I just didn't feel like going through and changing it. I had to type fast because my host mom was waiting for me to finish so we could go to the store! And I already have many stories! Can't wait to tell them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! YEA! Can't wait to hear them! Hoping you are enjoying your time and it continues to be something that's unforgettable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps Saw Lorena this weekend- made me think of you! (We we're gonna try out this new Indian restaurant in Lancaster but, according to the bartender who seated us because the one and only server just left in a hissy fit, the owners were to cheap to open the buffet and there were only a few items on the available on the menu and due to the fact there was NO ONE eating there at prime dinner time hour- we left for a Japanese restaurant... which is where we saw Lorena.) You would have died laughing along with us!

    ReplyDelete